Tag Archives: vivitar

DIY Redscale.

The easiest way to redscale a 35mm film also requires you to waste a full roll.

Luckily I had one from when my Meikai Mango camera popped open with a full roll inside. Damn £3 eBay purchase.

Firstly, pull out all the film from the roll you don’t mind wasting.

Then cut it off, leaving about an inch still attached to the actual canister.

20130120-130309.jpg
Get the film that you want to redscale and tape the end of film hanging out onto the inch of film that’s hanging out of the canister you cut earlier, but flip the film over first as the main aim is to have a film that is flipped over inside the canister.

20130120-130541.jpg

20130120-130714.jpg

Take the two canisters that are now attached by the taped together film into somewhere dark (I normally just put my hands under a blanket in my bedroom).

Start winding your empty film canister so the film from the full canister is wound into the empty one. This has to be done in complete dark or your film will be exposed.

Once all your film is wound into the canister that started emptyyou can cut it off from the canister that is now empty. Don’t forget to leave an inch of film still attached to the now empty canister as you can use this for your next redscale film, without having to waste another roll of film.

One thing to remember when shooting with redscale film is that it needs a hell of a lot of light. Most of the photos I took with my first roll came out too dark but there were a few that turned out ok.

20130120-124221.jpg

20130120-124231.jpg

20130120-124242.jpg

20130120-124253.jpg

35mm Experiments.

The Lemonade Film.

So, I’ve been experimenting a bit with 35mm film. Its the unpredictability of not knowing how they’ll come out until they’re collected from the lab.

First up, I took one of the rolls from my collection of expired film. Expired film normally gives a soft finish and dream like effects to the film anyway but this just wasn’t enough anymore.

I started by taken the film from the plastic pot it came in and filled the pot with some fizzy lemonade. Pop the film back in an leave for about an hour. Once the time is up, wash the film down with cold water an then it was left to dry for about 3 days on the window sill.

Once it was dry I stuck it in my Vivitar Ultra Wide & Slim and took the the streets…

20130111-080329.jpg

20130111-080340.jpg

20130111-080354.jpg

20130111-080418.jpg

20130111-080427.jpg

20130111-080440.jpg

20130111-080447.jpg

20130111-080456.jpg

20130111-080511.jpg

20130111-080531.jpg

20130111-080540.jpg

20130111-080550.jpg

I was a bit disappointed by the results as I was hoping for more colour changes. The main effect is little black dots (I’m guessing from the bubbles in the lemonade) and a couple look as if the emulsion on the film had cracked.

Try this at home, it kills a few minutes on a rainy day…

Camera: Vivitar Ultra Wide & Slim
Film: Kodak Max 400 ISO