Tag Archives: experiment

35mm Eperiments.

The Whiskey Film

If you’ve got any 35mm film lying around, used or not, and you want to experiment with the photos, give this a try. A word of warning though, you will probably lose a few photos as the process is unpredictable.

Start off by taking an empty plastic film canister (the pot the film came in). Fill it half way with your favorite whiskey. I used Whyte & McKay for mine but anything will do.

Pop you roll of film in and if there’s any space left in the pot, top it up with water. Now put the lid back on the pot and shake for about a minute to make sure the whiskey has soaked all the way through the film.

Leave it for as long as you want. I gave mine about 20 minutes but it all depends on how much you want to ‘destroy’ your film.

Then take the film from the pot, wash thoroughly in cold water and leave to dry in a slightly warm place (about 2 days should be enough).

Then I popped it in my Samsung Fino 130 that I found on eBay for about £3 and went on my travels around Sunderland and Newcastle. I bought this camera mainly for the bulb setting and how cheap it was.







As you can see there was some strange effects left over. Although a lot of the photos had been pretty much ruined, there was still a few that came out with nice colour fades and marks on them.

If I was going to do this again, I would make sure that I use nearly all the film on sunny days as that’s when the effects seem more noticeable.


Camera: Samsung Fino 130
Film: Kodak Max 400

35mm Experiments.

The Lemonade Film.

So, I’ve been experimenting a bit with 35mm film. Its the unpredictability of not knowing how they’ll come out until they’re collected from the lab.

First up, I took one of the rolls from my collection of expired film. Expired film normally gives a soft finish and dream like effects to the film anyway but this just wasn’t enough anymore.

I started by taken the film from the plastic pot it came in and filled the pot with some fizzy lemonade. Pop the film back in an leave for about an hour. Once the time is up, wash the film down with cold water an then it was left to dry for about 3 days on the window sill.

Once it was dry I stuck it in my Vivitar Ultra Wide & Slim and took the the streets…













I was a bit disappointed by the results as I was hoping for more colour changes. The main effect is little black dots (I’m guessing from the bubbles in the lemonade) and a couple look as if the emulsion on the film had cracked.

Try this at home, it kills a few minutes on a rainy day…

Camera: Vivitar Ultra Wide & Slim
Film: Kodak Max 400 ISO